Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Breaking News from Bethlehem: Interview with Mary


By:  Dale Weckbacher

Luke 1:26-28
 In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin engaged[a] to a man named Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And the angel came to her and said, “Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”[b]
(CSB)

The events in Bethlehem continue to draw attention with wise men from the east beginning their long journey to see what the cause of the great commotion in the sky.  Shepherds who had begun resting for the night suddenly see angels singing in the sky.  Meanwhile back in the humble stable, the baby now named Jesus begins to awaken.  Joseph then asks Mary, “a reporter came while you and the baby were asleep asking some questions.”

“Why would a reporter be asking us questions” answered Mary.

Joseph smiled and said, “Come outside.”

Mary bundled up and went with Joseph.  Joseph then said, “Look up.”

As Mary looked up, she saw the star and angelic choir singing.  Joseph then said, “The reporter wanted to know what was unusual about the birth of Jesus.  I told him about the angelic visitation I experienced.  He asked me if he could talk to you after you woke up.  Are you up to it?”

Mary thought for a moment and felt God telling her that she should for the world needed to hear the story.  “Sure” she replied.  Joseph went over to Biff and told him Mary was ready to which Biff eagerly got up and followed Joseph back to the stable.

Biff:  Hello my name is Biff with Wolf News.  The birth of your baby has caused quite a stir.  Joseph told me quite a story about how he is not the Father of the baby and that the baby’s actual father is God Himself.  Can you elaborate for me?
Mary:  Like Joseph, I had an angelic visitation where God told me I had favor among women.  I thought of all the great women in history like my distant relative Ruth and Esther who saved Israel from total annihilation.  I am a simple woman and never pictured myself being considered special like them. 
Biff:  So how did that make you feel?
Mary:  Humbled even though I could have been puffed up with pride. 
Biff:  So, what did the angel tell you that was special?
Mary:  That I would conceive and give birth to a son and to name Him Jesus but that is not the best part of the story.  The angel also told me my son would be called the Son of the Most High and the Lord God (Luke 1:31-32).  This is what humbled me, the thought that I would give birth to the Son of God.
Biff:  Sounds amazing and almost unbelievable.  Is it possible the baby has an earthly father and that you are stretching things a bit for the cameras?
Mary:  I have never been with a man and besides that, look above you.  Does what you see ordinarily occur when a woman gives birth?
Biff:  You have me there, but how can you be certain your baby is the Son of God. 
Mary:  After I conceived, I went to my aunt Elizabeth’s home to tell her the news.  However, upon entering the house her baby leaped inside of her and she said the same words as the angel, that I was blessed among women.  She too was blessed at knowing that the Mother of her Lord had come to pay her a visit (Luke 1:41-45). 
Biff:  Well, I must admit the birth of your baby is creating quite a stir.  Did you know there are reports of wise men in the east seeing the star and coming to see what is happening and look, there is a group of shepherds coming over.  Thank you Mary for your time, I know you need to get back to your baby.
Mary:  Thank you and may God bless you and your crew.
Biff:  Well there you have it folks.  It appears something incredible has happened in Bethlehem tonight, but we must find out why this group of shepherds is coming over.  Let us go back to the studio and check on the status of the wise men’s journey from the east while I go speak with the group of shepherds. 

Thank you Biff.  We have reporters going out now to speak with the wisemen and as soon as they arrive, we will speak with them. 

Next Wednesday’s posting will be on Christmas or Tuesday where we will discover the shepherd’s perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment