Sunday, September 12, 2021

Lessons from the Figs

 By:  Dale Weckbacher

 

Text: Jeremiah 24:1-10

 

Jeremiah 24:6-7

I will set my eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up, and not tear them down; I will plant them, and not pluck them up. I will give them a heart to know that I am the Lord, and they shall be my people and I will be their God, for they shall return to me with their whole heart.

(ESV)

 

Yesterday the United States took time to pause and reflect on the horrific attack 20 years ago with the loss of over three thousand lives due to attacks by terrorists on U.S. soil. Those of us who were alive during that time in history can remember with detail what we were doing but with the passage of 20 years, there is also a generation of individuals, many of whom are now old enough to vote who were not alive at that time. I want to urge my readers to lift up in prayer those who lost family and friends in these attacks and remember those trapped behind enemy lines in Afghanistan.

 

While figs are not a staple in the diet of many people today, they were something consumed by people during the time of Jeremiah. Like any fruit, it is best to consume them just after they become ripe like the basket of good figs in Jeremiah’s vision (Jeremiah 24:2). While Scripture does not specifically say it, the basket of bad figs were probably figs that had been sitting out for a while and become rotten. The closest example we would have today are bananas which quickly go bad when left out. With this vision of figs, the Lord will illustrate the difference between those choosing to go into exile in the land of the Chaldeans versus those choosing to remain in Judah or seek asylum in Egypt. These two classes of people are,

 

1)      Rebels (Jeremiah 24:8-10) – While it seems noble for the people to resist the invading army of Nebuchadnezzar by remaining in the land God has promised them, the people have been rebellious and subject to the consequences of Deuteronomy 28:15-68. These people have been given numerous opportunities to repent of their rebellion and stubbornly continue to worship pagan gods and God in violation of the First Commandment (Exodus 20:1-3). Therefore, God equates these people as bad figs rotten with rebellion against God.

2)      Repentant people (Jeremiah 24:4-7) – Being uprooted from one's homeland is not a desirable situation but in this instance, the consequences of continued rebellion against God. However, those going into exile are placing themselves in a position where they will be under the watchful eye of the Lord and have time to reflect and repent of their rebellion. The descendants of these people will be those returning to the land after the completion of their time of exile.

 

The vision of the figs given to Jeremiah is symbolic of those choosing to go into exile and those choosing to remain in Judah or go to Egypt. Those choosing to go into exile are showing obedience to God understanding they must suffer the consequences of  Deuteronomy 28:15-68. These people, represented by the good figs, will repent while in exile and their descendants will return to the land (Jeremiah 24:4-7). Those remaining in the land are hanging on to false prophesies promising no consequences for rebellion (Jeremiah 23:16-17). Those choosing to follow the lying prophets and not repent suffered the consequences of their rebellion.

 

All of us have sinned and live under a death sentence for our sin (Romans 3:23; 6:23). Thankfully, God has provided a way of exile for sinners through the death of Christ, the spotless lamb of God, who took the death penalty for everyone’s sins. The choice for everyone is to remain in the land of sinful rebellion and suffer the consequence of death or repent and leave the land of sin, not going into exile, but to eternity with Christ. For those choosing to leave the land of sin and rebellion, I invite you to pray with me now.

 

Dear Lord Jesus, I know I have sinned (Romans 3:23) and know that the penalty for my sin is death (Romans 6:23).  I ask you to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me as you promise in your Word (1 John 1:9).  I believe you died, spent three days in the grave, and resurrected from the dead and now declare you Lord of my life.

 

May God challenge and bless everyone reading this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment