Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Heroism Doing the Right Thing in Spite of the Risks


I woke up Tuesday, checked the news, and saw a story about the next video sensation.  Prior to Tuesday morning most of us had no idea who Mr. Ramsey was but by the time the day was over, most of us knew who he was and agree that Mr. Ramsey is a true hero.  This led me to think as I often do when I read the news and ask the question, what makes someone a true hero.  I concluded that true heroes are usually ordinary people who do the right thing no matter what risks are involved and end up saving lives in the process. 

This reminded me of the brave firefighters in New York who on 9/11 went into the burning World Trade Center towers while everyone else was leaving.  These men knew the risks involved but also knew there were people in the buildings that needed to get out.  Many of these brave heroes sacrificed their own lives to save others.  We may never know how many lives their heroism saved but they definitely fit with my definition of a hero being someone doing the right thing in spite of the risks. 

We also witnessed the fearless courage of those who quickly responded to those injured in the Boston Marathon bombing.  These brave heroes quick response, knowing there could be additional explosions, most likely saved the lives of many of the injured. 

Yes, Mr. Ramsey is a true hero.  He responded to screams coming from inside the home and according to what he said in his video, he believed there was some sort of domestic violence issue going on.  Law enforcement officers that I know have told me that domestic violence calls are the most unpredictable situations they encounter.  Mr. Ramsey did the right thing in responding to the screams and not once did he consider what he might have encountered on the other side of that door. 

So, Mr. Ramsey, you are a true hero in my opinion during these challenging times in our country, we need more heroes like you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment