Saturday, February 22, 2020

God, a Fortress of Strength That is Always with Us


By:  Dale Weckbacher

Text:  Psalm 46

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present[b] help in trouble.
(ESV)

There is a continuing debate in the United States over the second amendment granting citizens of the United States the right to arm themselves.  Each time there is a tragic mass shooting, the debate heats up with those on the left that believe the elimination of private ownership of guns will somehow magically eliminate any mass shooting.  Those supporting the second amendment will point out that if more individuals armed themselves, the incidences of these mass shootings would decrease as shooters would be deterred by knowing people would shoot back once they began their rampage of shooting.  The recent Texas church shooting, while tragic, is an example of how a shooter is an armed presence at the scene.  While I support the second amendment in the United States believing it provides for self-defense as we live in a post-Genesis 3 world, there are other troubles in the world a Gun does not solve.  This week I was admitted to the hospital with a rapid heart rate and now face a surgical procedure in about six weeks to correct the situation.  A gun does not solve this situation, but I have peace because I know God is a fortress of strength in this situation.  A personal relationship with God provides,

1)      A safe place of strength in trouble (Psalm 46:1-3) – The psalmist speaks of the earth giving way, the mountains being moved into the sea and the waters roaring and foaming with the mountains trembling at the floodwaters from the rivers.  This sounds like a science fiction disaster movie plot but is a visual illustration of one experiencing a torrent of trouble in their lives.  While sitting in the ER and seeing the rapidity with which my heart was beating, it felt like the earth and mountains were moving and the floodwaters were rushing in.  However, I knew that my God was with me and that friends, family, and pastors I contacted by text or social media were praying for me, providing a refuge of strength and encouragement that I felt during my struggle. 
2)      Access to the presence of God (Psalm 46:4-7) – Believers living during the old covenant before the birth of Christ had to go to the physical temple in Jerusalem to be in the habitation of the most high (Psalm 46:4).  The good news for believers that struggle today is that the presence of God is within their hearts, making it possible to pray for refuge wherever they are in their struggle (John 17:26).  All a believer must do today is reach out to God in prayer and the Lord will save them just as he did with Peter when he began to sink in the sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:28-33). 
3)      Be still in chaos knowing God is God (Psalm 46:8-11) – In the morning hours during the winter months in Phoenix, I drive east to work at the sunrise.  While the traffic in a big city like Phoenix is dreadful during morning and evening rush hours, during these winter months I have the privilege of enjoying beautiful sunrises that provide a Godly backdrop to enjoy.  However, these beautiful works of creation pale in comparison to the work of grace performed by God on Calvary (Ephesians 2:8; John 3:16; Romans 5:8).  The hope of future glory also gives hope and peace in times of chaos in our lives (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).  Creation demonstrating the majesty of God, God’s grace forgiving sin, and the hope of eternity with God makes it possible for believers to stand still like a rock or a tree deeply rooted and immovable during the storms of chaos in life.   

The most important thing I knew when sitting in the ER, uncertain what might happen, was the assurance I knew the Lord and would spend eternity with Him.  However, the fact that I am writing this post means God has more for me to do before taking me home.  Part of that work is extending an invitation to anyone reading this that does not have a personal relationship with God by asking God to forgive their sins and make Jesus the Lord of their life.  If you are reading this and have not accepted Jesus as your savior, I invite you to pray with me now. 

Dear Lord Jesus, I know I have sinned (Romans 3:23) and know that the penalty for my sin is death (Romans 6:23).  I ask you to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me as you promise in your Word (1 John 1:9).  I believe you died, spent three days in the grave, and resurrected from the dead and now declare you Lord of my life.

We live in a chaotic post-Genesis 3 world and need a safe refuge of strength to go to when struggles come.  While a firearm or gun provides protection from attacks, there are other struggles that can threaten our lives.  Therefore, we need both physical weapons that protect and keep us safe from physical harm as well as a relationship with God providing salvation and the hope of future glory to maintain peace in Chaos.  May God bless everyone reading this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment