Friday, March 24, 2023

Judgments on the Nations (The Philistines)

 By: Dr. Dale Weckbacher

 

Text: Jeremiah 47:1-7

 

John 3:17

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

(ESV)

 

I recently had a fall out in my yard resulting in my breaking a bone in my hand because I tried to catch myself when I fell. The bone took eight weeks to heal and during those eight weeks, I was in a splint and under doctor's orders not to grip, pull, or push anything. These orders from the doctor were not difficult to follow for when I attempted to do such things, the pain reminded me of my broken bone. The failure of Israel to remove the Philistines from the Promised Land caused them to become a source of pain like a broken bone in one’s hand (Joshua 13:1-3). However, God is merciful with a day of reckoning coming to the Philistines with Jeremiah 47:1-7 providing a warning.

 

In Jeremiah 47:1-7, God provides a warning to the Philistines about destruction coming from the north. Like a similar warning given to Egypt, this passage provides details about the warning given to nations through another Word of the Lord coming from Jeremiah in Jeremiah 25:15-38. This Word comes to Jeremiah before Pharaoh strikes down Gaza (Jeremiah 47:1). The warning begins by telling the Philistines waters are rising from the north that will become a rising torrent (Jeremiah 47:2). The passage uses symbolic language and means an army from the north will attack the Philistines. Men will wail at the sound of the advancing army with fathers so feeble that they will not look back at their children (Jeremiah 47:3). These men are feeble because the day of the Philistine destruction, or their day of reckoning, has come (Jeremiah 47:4). Such is the fate of those opposing Israel.

 

The Word of the Lord then says baldness has come upon Gaza with Ashkelon perishing asking how long they will gnash themselves (Jeremiah 47:5). This is symbolic of Gaza becoming baren and the destruction of Ashkelon. The Word from the Lord ends by asking how long till the sword of the Lord’s wrath against the Philistines will be silenced, answering that the sword cannot be silent because it was given a charge from the Lord and must fulfill its duty (Jeremiah 47:6-7).

 

The Philistines have been an ongoing problem for Israel. Goliath was a Philistine who taunted the army of Israel until David, a small shepherd boy defeated him with a slingshot and five rocks (1 Samuel 17). Before Israel’s encounter with Goliath, the Philistines sent Delilah to discover Samson’s source of strength (Judges 16:1-22). Before the warning of Jeremiah 47:1-7 to the Philistines, the Lord gave a Word to the Philistines, along with other nations, regarding his coming wrath (Jeremiah 25:15-38). While the Philistines have been an ongoing problem for Israel, this word of the Lord was also a Word of comfort to Israel that God would deliver Israel from the ongoing problem of the Philistines.

 

Christians live in a secular world of ungodliness with ungodly people persecuting believers in Christ. This should not come as a surprise because Jesus promised his followers that they would suffer tribulation, but Jesus also reminds us that He has overcome the world (John 16:33). Christians also have the promise of Jesus’ return to take his children home a Word bringing comfort to believers in Christ (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). Living in a secular world as a Christian can feel like living in exile, but even in exile, we can be assured God’s plans for His people are for our good and not our destruction (Jeremiah 29:11).

 

However, these promises apply only to those choosing to make Jesus their Savior. If you have not done so, I encourage you to do so now by praying with me,

 

Dear Lord Jesus, I know I have sinned (Romans 3:23) and know that the penalty for my sin is death (Romans 6:23).  I ask you to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me as you promise in your Word (1 John 1:9).  I believe you died, spent three days in the grave, and resurrected from the dead and now declare you Lord of my life.

 

As Christians, there is much to encourage us and give us hope. The greatest encouragement is eternity with Christ. My prayer is that God would challenge and encourage everyone that reads this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment