Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Value of a Father

Tomorrow is Father’s Day and I decided to take a moment off from writing about the current issues facing our nation and reflect on the value of a good father.  I was blessed as a child to have a good father figure to look up to and although he was not perfect, he was someone I could look up to as a good example. 

My father was a World War II veteran and served our nation in the Pacific theater of the war.  Prior to leaving to serve our nation in the war, he married my mother as many GI’s did prior to going overseas.  His reason for doing this was to insure that if something happened to him in the war, my mother would be taken care off.  This strong desire of my fathers to take care of his family did not end with his marrying my mother prior to leaving to serve in the war. 

As a child, my mother did not work outside of the home until I was about 10 years old so during the first 10 years of my life, my father was the only source of financial support for the home.  As a child, I did not have a large home or the best of everything but I never lacked a roof over my head or food to eat.  Now that I am a parent, I know there must have been times when finances were tight but I never remember my dad complaining.  I know now that it was because he believed his financial situation was his responsibility and that complaining about it was not an option.  I also never once remember my father having to receive a government handout.

At the age of ten, my mother went back to school to pursue her lifelong dream of becoming a nurse.  I know my dad was not happy with her decision to pursue a career but he also could not stop her.  My mom did achieve her dream and served several years as a nurse.  This too was the nature of my father to not stand in the way of someone pursuing his or her dream even if he did not totally agree with it.  I say totally disagree for I believe my father appreciated the extra income my mom brought into the household by working as a nurse. 

My father passed away on October 7, 2001, the day the war in Afghanistan began.  I remember how upset he was on September 11, 2001 and I believe that if he had been physically able, he would have once again served his country as he did in World War II.  Even though I miss my father, I have the valuable lessons he taught me and a good, although not perfect, example to follow. 

Unfortunately, many are not blessed to have a good fatherly example to follow.  For many in our culture, the father figure is absent and single mothers do the best they can to fulfill both roles.  For single moms, absent of the income of a father, this often means turning to the government for help.  There is nothing wrong with turning to the government for help when necessary but the government is not equipped to fulfill all the benefits children need from a good fatherly figure. 

For those lacking a good father figure in their lives, and even for those who have one, I encourage you to meet the best father figure of all, God Almighty.  Where earthly fathers fail or may even be absent, God the Father is always there.  He is there when times are bad and He is there when times are good and unlike our earthly fathers, he has the power and resources to provide for our every need. 

So how can I enter into a relationship with God and make him my father.  Quite simple.

1)       Realize that sin in our lives has severed our relationship with God making it impossible for him   to be our father.  Rom 3:23 For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard.  (NLT)  However, this does not mean our situation is hopeless for
2)      Rom 5:7-8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.  (NLT)  Therefore, even though we have sinned, God has not quit loving us and sent his Son Jesus Christ to die for us.
3)      However, God is a just God Rom 6:23a For the wages of sin is death (NLT) and therefore someone must die to fulfill God’s law.  But the good news is
4)      Rom 6:23b but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.  (NLT) This means that when Jesus who knew no sin died on the cross, he was taking the death penalty for our sins so we no longer have to die. 
5)      Therefore, a full pardon from the death penalty of sin is now available for us.  Rom 10:9-10 For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.  (NLT)
Once we have done what the Bible tells us to do in Romans 10:9-10, we become a child of God and our relationship with God the Father is restored. 

I urge everyone reading this that has not done so already, to enter into a relationship with God the Father by praying this simple prayer. 

Father God, I know I have sinned and fallen short of your standard.  I also understand that the penalty for my sin is death but I also understand that you love me and have provided a path back to a relationship with you.  Jesus never sinned and yet he died on a cross paying the penalty for my sin.  I now confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord, that he died but also that he was raised from the dead.


By praying this prayer, you have entered into a relationship with God the Father, the only perfect father we can ever know.  I now urge you to share with someone, perhaps with someone you know has been praying for you, about your decision.  You may be ridiculed by some but know this, you now have eternal life (John 3:16) and have a relationship with the best father anyone can ever have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment