Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Praying for Boldness


By:  Dale Weckbacher

Text:  Acts 4:23-31

Acts 4:29-30
And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, 30 while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
(ESV)

Fear can be a paralyzing emotion making us afraid to move forward and instead retreat to our safe place.  Fear can also serve us by preventing us from taking an unnecessary risk.  For example, while I like flying, I fear jumping out of an airplane because I know the laws of gravity would take over and I would crash to the earth and die.  However, if I take the precaution to use a parachute and receive training on how to use it, or jump in tandem with someone who does, I have a good chance of survival.  Not to worry because I believe the wisest choice, is to stay on the plane until it safely lands at its destination. 

One of the long-term effects of Covid19 is that many have succumbed to a debilitating fear of going out from their homes and remain sheltered in their safe place.  While it may be uncomfortable to wear a mask or social distance for those that like to socialize with other people, these guidelines are the parachute that allows us to jump out of the shelter of our homes, and safely conduct our business and be with others.  Therefore, I will wear my mask even though it is uncomfortable and practice social distancing, viewing it as my parachute keeping me and others safe.  While I could stay in my safe place just like I choose to remain on the plane, I must leave my safe place to conduct business and interact with others to support my mental and spiritual health.  Therefore, unlike my decision to stay in the plane, I will leave the safe place of my home, put on my parachute of a mask, and practice social distancing to conduct necessary business and interact safely with others. 

After their release from arrest, Peter and John went to their friends and gave them a full report of what occurred.  This would have included the edict given not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus (Acts 4:18).  Peter and John’s response was that to obey this edict would have required him to ignore all that they had seen and heard during their time with Jesus on earth (Acts 4:19-20).  During that time they had seen the miracles Jesus performed like healing the sick, opening the eyes of the blind, and even the raising of the dead (John 11:38-44; Mark 1:32-34; 8:22-26).  Peter and John saw Jesus die and saw him after his resurrection from the dead (Luke 24:36-43).  More importantly, Peter and John are filled with the Holy Spirit with a mandate from Jesus to share the message of Jesus' death burial and resurrection with others (Mark 16:15; Matthew 28:19-20).  Peter and John are not about to remain quiet and join with their friends in praying for boldness to continue speaking about Jesus (Acts 4:23-31). 

The question each person reading this must ask themselves is how we would handle someone in authority, whether they are from the Church or government telling us to be quiet and stop speaking about Jesus in public.  Would we obediently comply to avoid arrest or public ridicule or would we, like the believers in the Book of Acts, pray for boldness and allow ourselves to be filled with the Holy Spirit so we could continue to boldly share the Gospel.  Granted, we have not physically seen Jesus perform miracles or seen him resurrected from the dead like Peter and John, but we do have the accounts in scripture.  In addition, those reading this who have accepted Jesus as their savior have experienced a life transformation that has resulted in God’s peace and joy in their lives.  A world in chaos seeks peace and joy that is only found in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  However, if believers remain silent, a chaotic world will never know the source of peace in their lives. 

The Church must pray for boldness in sharing the message of the Gospel and not remain silent.  Even if the government or Church leaders tell them to remain silent or tone it down, believers must be bold in declaring the Gospel.  The Church must also not allow the wearing of a mask or the practice of social distancing stop the spread of the Gospel but wear the mask while sharing the Gospel with others as a demonstration of their concern for the safety of others while sharing the love of Christ. 

In this chaotic world, people need the joy and peace that can only come from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Jesus died for all sinners in this world and wants to have a personal relationship with everyone but waits for us to come to Him.  If you are reading this and have not reached out to Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sin so you can experience the joy and peace of a relationship with Him, I encourage you to do so now by praying with me,

Dear Lord Jesus, I know I have sinned (Romans 3:23) and know that the penalty for my sin is death (Romans 6:23).  I ask you to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me as you promise in your Word (1 John 1:9).  I believe you died, spent three days in the grave, and resurrected from the dead and now declare you Lord of my life.

May all reading this who know Jesus as their Savior, including those that just prayed, be bold in sharing the peace and joy they have in their relationship with Jesus as their Savior with others who are living in despair in a chaotic world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment